Construction Traffic Signs: Standard Versus Relaxation Roadworks Signage

Construction traffic signs play an important role in applying order to roads that are running while vital roadworks are being carried out. Not only do they help create a safe environment for workers, drivers, and their passengers, they also give vital information to any passers-by regarding the roadworks – such as duration of the roadworks. Signage for roadworks can be split into a few categories, namely standard roadworks, relaxation schemes, and emergency traffic management measures. So what are the differences between the signage required for each category?

Standard refers to the minimum standard of signage expected of an operation. This minimum standard is covered in Chapter 8 of the 'Traffic Signs Manual,’ which is used by all transport authorities across the United Kingdom. The types of signs used in such operations are the likes of 'Diversion,' 'Diversion Ends,' 'Road Closed Ahead,' and many other common roadworks sign plates. Relaxation, however, relates to short-term roadworks where there is a low traffic flow and good visibility. This means that fewer signs will be needed. However, if this type of roadwork scheme is in place during hours of darkness, or if conditions deteriorate at the site, then there must be additional traffic construction signs put in place.

Lastly, emergency traffic management is when works take place at very short notice. In this case, the standard of signage required will be lower. However, if the workers do not have quick access to the appropriate construction traffic control signs, this still does pose a health and safety risk for all. Thankfully, that's where Signmark steps in. We manufacture high-quality roadwork, traffic and construction signs. We're able to offer you a quote within one hour and can provide reliable same-day delivery – ensuring that no sites of emergency roadworks need be left unsafe. Just visit, give us a call on 01227 833979 or email, and we'll get back to you ASAP.