Construction Signs UK: What Are The Signing Requirements For Sites Involving Roads?

Construction signs UK wide are an incredibly important part of how businesses and authorities involved in construction, demolition, and civil engineering (such as roadworks) are able to adhere to health and safety regulations. This is because signs are an easy way to communicate information to not only workers on a construction site, but also the general public who are walking or driving in close proximity to the site. But signage for roadworks can cause, perhaps, the biggest headaches for site operators. When work is being performed on a road that is still being actively used, this can cause a whole host of health and safety complications.

As such, there are health and safety expectations that have been communicated by UK government bodies that have responsibility for such works. In England, the Department for Transport has released codes of practice, which cover the construction site safety signs UK wide required for both street works and roadworks. For example, different types of dual carriageways have differing requirements for roadwork and construction safety signs. This includes dual carriageways where the work is in the left lane, the right lane, at a T-junction, at a roundabout, or when a pedestrian crossing is being obstructed by the roadworks.

Much of the legislation covering construction site signs UK wide is very similar, but there are certain differences between England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, which should be consulted before any construction, roadwork, and traffic management design are conceptualised. Irrespective of where you are working in the UK, you're going to need quality roadwork and construction signs that can stand up to wind, rain, hail, and other environmental effects. You'll find just that when you purchase signs from Signmark. We manufacturer our own signs so we know just how much quality goes into each sign. For more information, visit us at, call 01227 833979 or email